Biofuels and biochemicals industry is one of the highest potential industries of Thailand that is set to develop fast. With the aptness in agriculture products like “Cassava”, it can be transformed to “Biofuel” and increase product value for the agriculture sector in order to drive Thailand’s economy. It also raises people’s awareness to use natural resources at its utmost benefit.
Faculty of Science and Technology, Thammasat University (TU) or SCI-TU has launched a Bachelor of Science Program in Bioenergy and biochemical refinery technology (BEB Program). This new program has several benefits and is expected to make students job-ready.
- Students can study 3 integrated fields of study because BEB is a mix of Pure Science and Applied Science such as “Biotechnology, Chemical, and Basic Engineering”. Students will learn the various uses of living things, including plants, animals, and microorganisms by the method of plant propagation, food preservation, and using microorganisms for solving pollution problems or producing biofuel from agricultural waste. Students also learn how to calculate in an engineering way through real practical learning in an operation room filled with chemical and biotechnology equipment.
- Students can study with domestic and international researchers. Apart from the 3 integrated fields of study, there are skillful professors who will build student knowledge. These professors develop world-class innovation that solves fuel and biochemical problems such as ‘Absorbing Oil Rubber Foam’. This innovation won a gold medal from an innovation competition in Geneva. It solves the problem of oil spills at the sea and the public water area. It also increases the product value of latex and Ethanol. This innovation is supported by the private sector, the National Research Council of Thailand, and the exchange of knowledge with international specialists.
- Students will get one-year of real work experience because real practice helps students to learn better than studying in class. Therefore, fourth-year students will work in a real industry working environment in high-end companies that cooperate with the faculty for 1 year. Students will work in the companies like Bangchak Corporation Public Company, BETAGRO Public Company, KTIS Group, Mitrphol Public Company, Thaioil Group, and SCG Public Company. Moreover, students can go overseas to work as well.
- Students will have problem-solving skills because working in a production factory often has to deal with immediate problems or plan for a future problem. It leads to an effective production process. Therefore, experiencing work-life in a company is like PBL (Problem Based Learning). For example, the operation program is to prepare students for working with hazardous substances and hazardous substances control. Students will be quick-witted and be ready for their future careers.
- There are many jobs available. Currently, the biofuel and biochemical industry is growing continuously. It is also a crucial industry for the country. Therefore, there is a high demand for people working in this field, including petrochemical researcher, researcher, and developer, an analytical chemist on renewable energy in order to drive the new S-curve like the biofuel and biochemical industry.